Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation Paralegal - Summerville and Goose Creek, SC
The primary responsibility of the Paralegal is to manage a variety of personal injury cases and some workers’ compensation cases. The Paralegal would be responsible for managing these cases from the beginning of the case to its resolution. The ideal candidate will have an interest and competency in serving a diverse clientele of various ages and financial, racial, and educational backgrounds who have suffered injustice and are seeking our help. The ideal candidate must also have prior litigation experience including experience drafting demands and responding to written discovery under the supervision of an attorney. (It is not essential that the candidate have prior experience with civil rights or nursing home abuse and neglect cases. However, it is important the candidate has an interest in learning how to better serve clients in these unique situations.)
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Maintaining a professional demeanor and exhibiting compassion to clients and prospects who contact our firm for guidance.
- Requesting medical records and other records essential to building a strong legal case.
- Writing demands and answering written discovery under the supervision of an attorney.
- Receiving and returning clients’ calls, faxes, and emails within 24 hours.
- Managing the schedule of an attorney for client meetings, doctor meetings, depositions, mediations, hearings, etc.*
- Thoroughly documenting notes in our database management system, Filevine, and completing various tasks as assigned by the attorney in a timely fashion.*
- Generating required personal injury forms and documents through our database management system, Filevine, transcribing dictation, revising, or drafting documents as directed by supervising attorney including, but not limited to, complaints, correspondence, demands, pleadings, and settlement documents in a timely fashion.*
- Maintaining custody of the physical file. File and update records, correspondence, and file documents in an orderly and organized manner per established office procedures. Maintain a clean and orderly work area.*
- Reviewing intake documents to ensure all information necessary to open a case in the file platform has been gathered (and takes the appropriate steps to obtain any missing information).
- Providing backup coverage to complete intakes when intake staff is unavailable.*
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Word; Microsoft Outlook, and Filevine Case Management software (will be trained).
Education/Experience: Associates degree (A. A. / A. S.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or three to four years related experience and/or training; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Steinberg Law Firm is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the benefits of a diverse team. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, familial or veteran status, and we strongly encourage applications from persons of diverse backgrounds.
Join the team