Protecting Yourself from Cold-Related Work Injuries
Cold weather can be dangerous for workers who are exposed outdoors or in poorly insulated work areas. Workers are at risk when temperatures drop below normal for their region and winds pick up. In South Carolina, workers can be at risk for cold stress when temperatures dip near or below freezing, which often happens for a few days in January. In cold weather, heat escapes the body more rapidly and can lead to serious health issues.
If you are exposed to cold temperatures at work, your employer should take steps to protect you, such as scheduling jobs for the warmest part of the day, but you can also take steps to protect yourself, including:
- Wearing several layers of clothing for better insulation.
- Choosing waterproof and insulated boots to keep your feet dry and warm.
- Wearing a hat to reduce the amount of body heat that escapes from your head.
- Using breaks to relocate to warmer spaces.
- Drinking warm liquids.
- Carrying extra cold weather gear with you, such as gloves, socks, and jackets.
- Watching your co-workers for signs of cold stress and encouraging each other to warm up when possible.
At Steinberg Law Firm we advocate for injured workers and their families. If you have been seriously injured in a work accident, call the experienced work injury lawyers at Steinberg Law Firm today at 843-720-2800 for your free consultation. We represent clients throughout the Charleston, South Carolina region.
Steinberg Attorney Michael J. Jordan Sponsors The Lowcountry Firefighter Support Team’s 4th Annual Golf Tournament
Local nonprofit, the Lowcountry Firefighter Support Team, promotes both easily accessible and available peer-based and clinical behavioral health services, ensuring those services meet the needs of firefighters and their families. Steinberg’s very own, Michael…