Summer Safety Tips: How to Prevent Personal Injury and DUI
Summer brings warmer weather, longer days and vacation time. Warm summer days encourage outdoor activities, events and parties like cookouts, fireworks and pool parties. However, such fun summer events run the risk of accidents.
To help you stay safe from injury, Steinberg Law Firm has provided the following safety tips for the summer. Here are things to keep in mind to help create only good memories this summer.
Summer nights often mean more parties and more occasions to drink alcohol. Increased heat in the summer combined with alcohol, can lead to accidents.
Heat safety tips
- Drink fluids to stay hydrated.
- Wear loose, lightweight and light-colored clothing.
- Stay indoors.
- Implement a buddy system when working outside in excessive heat and take frequent breaks.
Whether you are at a pool party or out on a lake, river or on a beach, always remember to stay safe. Take the following precautions when out by the water.
Swimming safety tips
- Swim in designated areas where lifeguards are present.
- Never swim alone.
- Do not leave a child unattended near water.
- Protect your skin by wearing sunscreen.
Boating safety tips
- Always wear a life jacket.
- Keep a life preserver on the boat.
- Board the boat one person at a time.
- Do not overload a boat.
While it is important to stay safe in high summer temperatures especially when out by the water, do not forget to take protective steps when attending or holding any outdoor parties, such as barbeques our cookouts. High temperatures, alcohol and grilling can lead to accidents and injuries. Follow these safety tips to stay out of harm’s way:
Grilling safety tips
- Always grill outside.
- Never leave a barbecue grill unattended while it is in use.
- Keep the grill away from anything that could catch fire.
- Use the appropriate long-handled grill tools to protect from burns and other injuries.
Summer time means also more cars on the road, boats on the water and bikes on the path. Summer holidays like Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day are the deadliest for car accidents. Make sure to always imbibe responsibly and never operate any sort of vehicle when under the influence. To avoid a DUI, find a designated driver before the night begins or call an Uber or Lyft to transport you home.
Driving safety tips
- Use extra caution while driving through work zones.
- Do not allow your gas tank to get too low.
- Avoid distractions while driving, including cell phones.
- Never drink and drive.
Attorney Steven Goldberg was recently appointed to the governing board of the Coastal Community Foundation of South Carolina! The Coastal Community Foundation was founded in 1974 and is dedicated to…