Auto Accident Attorney For Parking Lot Collisions
When you picture an auto accident you probably visualize a highway or road collision. But car wrecks can happen in private and public parking lots too. While fortunately, most parking lot accidents do no result in serious injuries, they sometimes cause injuries and always cause property damage to the cars involved. It is important you know how to handle a parking lot collision in case one happens to you or a loved one.
The most common causes of parking lot wrecks are:
- Drivers accelerating too fast
- Drivers reversing without paying attention
- Drivers going in the wrong direction
- Drivers failing to watch out for pedestrians
If you are involved in a parking lot accident, we offer these tips:
- Remember accidents involve angry or frustrated victims. You should remain calm and take a deep breath before talking to the other driver or pedestrian involved. If the other driver or pedestrian appears angry or hostile, stay in your car and do not confront them until they calm down.
- As in all cases, call the police to report the collision.
- Always ask if the other person is hurt or needs assistance but avoid saying you’re sorry as this may be interpreted as an admission the collision was your fault.
- If the collision has taken place at a store or at a location with security or management, contact them immediately.
You should exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver and also get the names and contact information from any witnesses. Do not discuss who is at fault as that can result in a heated debate. If you have a camera in your vehicle or on your phone, take photos of any injuries, and the scene showing the location of the cars.
Were You Injured in a Parking Lot Collision in South Carolina?
Sometimes pedestrians can be seriously injured in parking lot collisions. Drivers often fail to see people walking or standing in a parking lot or parking garage. When you are a pedestrian in a parking lot or parking garage, you should keep an eye out for distracted drivers. Even at low parking lot speeds, collisions between a motor vehicle and a pedestrian can result in serious injuries such as fractured bones, spinal cord injuries, and head trauma. If you are injured in a parking lot wreck, it is important you seek treatment immediately. Too often pedestrians or drivers feel like they have only suffered a minor injury. It is very common for drivers to feel as if medical assistance isn’t necessary for what may feel like is a minor injury, only later to find out it was something more serious. The earlier you get treatment, the better. Be sure to keep copies of any medical records of information, prescriptions, and work excuses to get from the doctor.
With the warmer seasons upon us, parking lot collisions happen more frequently. Tourists and drivers looking for limited parking spaces increase the risk of parking lot collisions. If you or a loved one has been injured in a parking lot wreck, contact one of our experienced attorneys at the Steinberg Law Firm for a free consultation
The non-profit organization Make It Right Foundation, which is the brainchild of Hollywood actor Brad Pitt , is considering taking legal action against a South Carolina-based manufacturer of glass-infused wood…
While not a South Carolina decision, a recent decision from a federal court in Illinois is a small victory for both homeowners and builders everywhere in that it is one…