Defensive Driving in South Carolina
According to the South Carolina Department of Public Safety in 2018, a collision occurred every 3.7 minutes. Driving can be dangerous, and your full attention is required to ensure your safety. Here are some ways that you can practice safe driving and keep you and your passengers safe!
Defensive Driving Courses
Taking a defensive driving course can help you understand your driving habits and protect yourself from other bad drivers. A driving instructor will explain the correct way to merge, who has the right of way, and relay additional vital information to help you drive safely. The courses can cost anywhere from $100 – $300 and can be found online. They usually consist of an 8-hour course and can even help reduce your insurance rates!
Taking an extra step to practice safe habits can help you prevent accidents on the road. Here are some tips:
- Always wear your seatbelt.
- Always check your mirrors.
- Remove any items that may fall into the accelerator or brake pedals.
- Avoid placing water bottles or any items around your feet while driving.
- Turn your lights on when driving in the rain.
- Use the left lane for passing only.
- Leave extra space between you and the car in front of you.
- Use your blinker.
- Double-check the lane is clear before moving into it.
- Allow vehicles on the on-ramp to enter the highway. Make space for them because they are accelerating and trying to match the highway speed.
- Do not cross more than one lane at a time.
- Please do not make a left turn without making sure it is clear. Do not accept turning clearance from another driver or passenger.
These tips and others will help you stay safe on the road, and protect you and your passengers from other drivers and dangerous situations. Steinberg Law Firm encourages all community members to drive as safely as possible and be as vigilant and focused while operating a vehicle.
South Carolina Car Accident Attorney
Steinberg Law Firm legally represents South Carolina citizens who are involved in auto accidents. Our law firm has decades of experience and can help you if you are involved in a wreck. We’re here to help you determine whether you are legally owed compensation for your car accident and move your case forward.
We have offices in Summerville, Charleston, Goose Creek, and we represent clients throughout South Carolina. If your case is eligible for a contingency fee arrangement, we promise that you will pay no attorney fee unless you win your lawsuit. Contact the Steinberg Law Firm at (843) 720-2800 for a free consultation with an experienced South Carolina attorney.