Labor Day Safety Tips
Though the weather in Charleston doesn’t say so, the summer is coming to an end. This coming Monday is Labor Day, and many families will be gathering together over the long weekend to bid farewell to summer. Many view Labor Day weekend as their final chance to travel, visit the beach, and fire up the grill. It’s important to review the following safety tips to ensure a safe, enjoyable Labor Day holiday.
Travel Safety Tips
- Always have an emergency kit in your vehicle, complete with flashlights, extra batteries, jumper cables, bottled water, fuses, basic tools, and a knife.
- Tell a neighbor or friend who isn’t traveling with you about your travel plans. Let them know your destination, planned travel route, and your arrival and departure dates and times.
- Buckle up! Make sure everyone in the car properly fastens their seat belts, and small children are in their appropriate car seats.
- Don’t drink and drive. Designate a sober driver before you go anywhere.
Swimming Safety Tips
- Keep an eye on the weather. Don’t go near water during a lightning storm.
- Use the buddy system and never swim alone. Children should always be supervised by an adult or lifeguard.
- Emergency floatation devices should be readily available. When boating, you must have enough life jackets for everyone on board.
- Don’t drink and boat! You can and will be cited if caught driving a boat while under the influence of alcohol.
Grilling Safety Tips
- Always grill in a safe location, away from houses, trees, and other flammable objects.
- Monitor the grill at all times, and keep children and pets away from the grill.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid after the coals have already been ignited.
- Handle food safely and carefully, with protective gloves to prevent burns.
This Labor Day, the Steinberg Law Firm would like to thank the hardworking men and women of the Charleston community. We honor your efforts to make this city a wonderful place to work, live, and play. If you are ever hurt at work, know that the firm will stand behind you to help you get back on your feet. Happy Labor Day from the Steinberg Law Firm. Be Safe!
Fall days are officially upon us, and the shorter days are more and more apparent as winter approaches. For some commuters, driving in the dark is a fact of life…
Now that summer is here, our waterways are crowded with recreational boaters, sailors and swimmers. Unfortunately, the U.S. Coast Guard counted 4,158 accidents that involved 626 deaths, 2,613 injuries and…