What is Under-Insurance (UIM) coverage?

If you are involved in a wreck, you have the right to file a claim against the driver who caused the wreck for the harms and damages you sustained. The minimum amount of liability coverage required in South Carolina  is $25,000.00. After that amount is paid by the insurance company, you are left suing the driver for damages over the minimum amount offered.

Under SC law, unless the person who hit you has assets such as second homes and multiple cars, you may be stuck with the twenty-five thousand dollar recovery even if your bills exceed that amount. Your own car insurance policy, however, may have “under-insurance” coverage available.

Under-Insurance, sometimes referred to as UIM , is separate coverage purchased as part of a car insurance policy. You can collect on the policy if the at fault party does not have enough insurance to pay for your damages such as lost wages and medical bills. You must properly file a claim against your own policy that you paid for like making an insurance claim after a house fire. In some cases you can even “stack” the UIM policies  of family members who own cars and live with you.

South Carolina law requires every insurance company offer the UIM coverage to people buying car insurance. It is not expensive and is a good policy to have. Check your policy to see what amount of UIM coverage you have. If you don’t have it, call your agent to learn more about the benefits of buying UIM coverage.

If you have been in a wreck an attorney at the Steinberg Law Firm can help you figure out your coverage and help you collect on your policies to make sure your lost wages, medical bills and other harms and losses are covered.

Updated on August 12, 2013

You May Also Like