Summerville Mechanic Injury Lawyer
Helping injured mechanics get workers’ compensation in Summerville, South Carolina
Mechanics deal with on-the-job hazards on a daily basis, whether it is dangerous machinery, exposure to toxic substances or working in cramped spaces. When mechanics fall ill or get hurt in a workplace accident, they have the right to obtain workers’ compensation. Workers’ compensation benefits are vital for injured mechanics as they cover medical bills, lost wages and other accident-related costs on the road to recovery.
Steinberg Law Firm Protects the Rights of Summerville Mechanics
Mechanics Face High Injury Rates and Dangerous Work Environments
Auto mechanics are more prone to occupational injuries and illnesses than workers in other industries. They are also more likely to be killed on the job. In 2019, auto body repairers and technicians had around 155,500 jobs nationwide.
Mechanics have experienced a total of 13,150 nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses, according to recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In 2018, the top three leading causes of workplace injuries for mechanics were:
- Overexertion and bodily reaction – 31.4 percent
- Slips, trips and falls – 26.7 percent
- Contact with objects and equipment – 26.2 percent
Together, they accounted for over 84 percent of all nonfatal injuries that year. Other leading causes of workplace injuries were transportation incidents, violence by people or animals, and exposure to harmful substances or environments.
Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers and repairers have seen a rise in fatal work injuries in recent years. There were 152 fatalities in 2018 compared with 143 in 2017.
Common Mechanic Injuries and What Causes Them
A mechanic’s job is both physically demanding and risky as it involves dealing with many workplace hazards. Acute injuries like cuts, lacerations and bruises can occur when handling auto parts and using tools. The lack of proper safety equipment can also lead to harm.
Mechanics can suffer a wide range of injuries and illnesses that qualify for workers’ compensation, regardless of who is at fault for a workplace accident. Here are some commonly reported ones:
- Sprains, strains and tears: Pushing, pulling, carrying and other repetitive motions put mechanics at risk of injury, as does lifting heavy objects like engine parts. Bending over to fix vehicles and working in awkward positions for hours are also to blame for strains.
- Eye injuries: Mechanics work underneath vehicles and hoods, which can result in toxic substances or debris falling into the eyes. Being exposed to flying particles or sparks can also lead to eye injuries.
- Burns: Mechanics are exposed to hazardous chemicals and toxic substances that can lead to skin irritation, chemical burns and poisoning. Contact with hot surfaces and liquids can cause burns to the skin.
- Limb or digit loss: Being an auto mechanic means using your hands a lot. It also involves relying on power tools and equipment such as electric metal sheers, hammers, welding torches and jacks, which present injury risks.
- Slips, trips and falls: Many auto shops have tools, hoses, electrical cords or engine parts lying around that can cause slip and fall accidents. Additionally, oil changes, grease spills, transmission flushes and vehicle maintenance procedures can make floors slippery.
- Asbestos exposure: Mechanics are susceptible to long-term illnesses caused by exposure to industrial chemicals, gasoline additives and lead. For example, some auto parts like clutches and brake pads may contain asbestos, which can lead to respiratory problems and even cancer.
Pursuing a Workers’ Compensation Claim for Mechanics
Under South Carolina law, Summerville employers are required to have workers’ compensation insurance that provides medical coverage and other benefits to injured employees. Because obtaining workers’ compensation involves following specific steps, your claim can be denied if it is filed incorrectly.
Inform your employer immediately if you get hurt or fall ill during the course of your employment as a mechanic. Be sure to seek medical care as soon as possible even if your injuries do not seem serious. Otherwise, an insurance company may question the severity of your injuries or cast doubts over whether it was work-related.
If your benefits claim is contested or denied, you can appeal the decision with the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission. The workers’ compensation lawyers at Steinberg Law Firm can represent you at a hearing and handle appeals.
In some cases, an injured mechanic may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against a third party, such as the manufacturer of faulty machinery, who was to blame for causing your work injury. Our Summerville workers’ compensation attorneys can help you determine if you have a case.
Types of Workers’ Compensation Benefits Available
Whether you suffered a fall or an arm injury, you may be unable to work for a long period of time. In serious cases, a permanent disability may prevent you from taking up any kind of employment in the future. Summerville mechanics who are injured on the job may be eligible for the following workers’ compensation benefits:
- Medical treatment: This includes hospitalization, surgery, physical therapy, doctor’s visits, prescription medications and other medical costs. Note that your expenses may not be covered if you do not see a physician of your employer’s choosing.
- Lost wages: You can receive payments to make up for lost earnings during your recovery period. Wage loss benefits can include temporary partial disability and temporary total disability if you are unable to work because of your injury or illness.
- Vocational rehabilitation: You may get assistance in finding a job if you are unable to return to your original position as a mechanic due to your workplace injuries. This benefit helps you get gainful employment so that you can earn a living again.
- Permanent disability: You may receive weekly payments if your doctor determines that your injury has left you with a permanent disability that impacts your ability to work. The amount of benefits depends on whether the disability is partial or total.
Why You Need a Summerville Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
You have important rights which you may not be aware of while working as a mechanic. Given the unique hazards of your job, it is reasonable to expect your employer will provide workers’ compensation if you suffer a debilitating injury at work. What happens though if your company refuses to give you the benefits you are owed?
Steinberg Law Firm is experienced with handling workers’ compensation disputes arising from mechanic injuries. Our Summerville workers’ compensation attorneys will review the details of your situation, determine eligibility, help you file for benefits or appeal a denied claim. We will make sure all your paperwork is filled out correctly. We can even sue a liable third party on your behalf if necessary.
The workers’ compensation claim process can be confusing. With a qualified lawyer representing your interests every step of the way, you can recover from your injuries and move forward with your life.
If you are a mechanic who has been injured on the job or have a work-related illness, contact Steinberg Law Firm right away to discuss your case. Our capable Summerville workers’ compensation lawyers will make sure you get fair benefits for your medical expenses and more. We are dedicated to protecting the rights of injured mechanics.
WE HAVE RECOVERED OVER $500 MILLION FOR CLIENTS IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, INCLUDING:
Car Accident Settlement
Workers' Comp Case
Leaders in the Legal Industry
Steinberg attorneys have been awarded numerous distinctions, such as Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America by U.S. News & World Report, Gedney M. Howe, Jr. Award for Outstanding Public Service, the SC Leadership in Law award, and has been voted Best Workers’ Comp Firm in SC, among other distinctions.
What Our Clients Say
They have amazing lawyers!
They have worked on an impossible situation and exceeded all expectations in the resulting settlements. I would recommend the Steinberg Law Firm to anyone and everyone!
My experience was excellent
From the first consultation to the end of my case I was kept updated step by step. My attorney worked hard for me and got me more than what I expected.
I never felt like I was alone
My lawyer and his Paralegal were right with me the entire case. I never felt like I was alone. At every turn they were in my corner. Someone recommended me to Steinberg law firm and I gladly would do the same for someone else.
I couldn't have asked for better
The people from the Steinberg group are top-notch. They handled my case extremely well, I couldn’t have asked for a better performance. Thank you all so much for all you did for me.
I am grateful for them!
At my worst, they honestly and carefully protected and defended my family on multiple levels. I’m a client for life and the integrity of this law firm is unmatched. Thank You Steinberg Law Family!!!
The people are thoughtful and professional
Questions and concerns always get answered and concerns are taken care of. Thank you all at Steinburg for a good experience and for showing me that you care about your clients.
The best law firm
This the best law firm anyone could ever deal with. Mr. Pearlman will work hard to get everything that is owed to you. It was a pleasure to have been represented by this firm.
I highly recommend them
They work as a team providing the best referrals and assistance to accomplish what my family and I needed. I highly recommend them because you won’t be disappointed.