J. Kevin Holmes grew up working for his father’s trucking company. “I learned how to drive a truck before I got my driver’s license. I got to know the people who worked for my father and that gave me respect for what working men and women do,” Holmes explains. He earned a bachelor’s degree from American University in Washington, DC and a law degree from Rutgers University School of Law. He joined the Steinberg Law Firm in 1979.
Kevin has 35 years of criminal and civil trial experience in the State and Federal courts. He has tried over 35 homicide cases, including two death penalty murder cases. He also handles Social Security and disability cases and has extensive appellate law experience. “One of the cases I’m most proud of is Marquard v. Columbia Pacific Mills, which marked the first time a cotton mill worker was awarded death benefits. Winning the case made it easier for all workers to receive workers’ compensation benefits for occupational diseases.” Since joining the firm, he has won numerous important Supreme Court cases expanding and protecting the rights of injured workers. You can review a list of cases he has handled on our firm web page.
Kevin has been a partner in the firm since 1985 and practices in our Broad Street office. He has served several terms on the Board of Governors of the South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association. He is active in our community and has served on the boards of numerous charitable organizations. He is married to Mary Hiott Holmes and they have five children.
- Holmes Elected to Charleston County Bar Association
- Steinberg Law Firm Partner Honored for “Keeping Dream Alive”
- Wrongfully Accused / Acusada Injustamente By / Por Maribel Acosta (La Isla Magazine, April 2014)
- The Stories That Move Us: Representing a Death Penalty Defendant (Death Penalty Resource and Defense Center, December News 2014)
- Steinberg Law Firm Secures Workers' Comp Benefits for Client Who Tripped at Work
- Schurlknight v. City of Charleston - Workers' Compensation Case - 2002
- Sellers v. Pinedale Residential Center - Workers' Compensation Case - 2002
- Muir v. C.R. Bard, Inc. - Workers' Compensation - 1999
- Grayson v. Gulf Oil Company - Workers' Compensation Appeal - 1987
- Marquard v. Pacific Columbia Mills - Workers' Compensation Case - 1982