Growing up, Benjamin W. Akery’s family moved around a good bit, following the path of his father’s industrial safety career. “Moving to six new states growing up taught me to be comfortable in all sorts of situations,” says Ben. That comfort has extended to the legal world.
In 2008 Ben joined the venerable Steinberg Law Firm, which was founded in the 1920s on the principle that individuals deserved representation against forces bigger than themselves.
Ben became a partner at the firm in 2016. At Steinberg, he is concentrating on personal injury, workers’ compensation, and social security disability law.
Ben earned his undergraduate degree from the College of Charleston, where he was a member of the Communications Honor Society. Ben was a scholarship athlete in both basketball and baseball his first two years of college. In 2008, he graduated from Emory University School of Law. While at Emory he served as staff attorney at the Indigent Criminal Defense Clinic representing individuals in Georgia’s criminal courts, he also received the Morton H. Aronson Franchise Law Award.
Ben is a member of the South Carolina Bar, Charleston County Bar, and Berkeley County Bar where he served on the board of directors and as president of the young lawyers division. He serves on the board of governors for the South Carolina Association for Justice and is a member of the Injured Workers Advocates.
For three years in a row, he has been listed in Best Lawyers in America for 2016, 2017 and 2018. He was selected as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2017 and was nominated by The National Trial Lawyers Association as one of the Top 40 Attorneys Under 40 in South Carolina.
He is an active member of Crosstowne Christian Church, serves as chair of the board of directors for Healing Farms, and lives with his wife Apryl and two daughters in West Ashley.
NEWS & ARTICLES
- Eight Steinberg Law Workers’ Compensation and Personal Injury Attorneys Named in 2020 Edition of “The Best Lawyers in America”
- 8 Attorneys at Steinberg Law Firm Listed in 2018 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
- Attorney Benjamin W. Akery Named To Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Goose Creek Attorney Ben Akery Sponsoring Annual Walk & Roll Healing Farms
- Steinberg Law Firm: A Legacy of Excellence
- 5 Attorneys Win “Best Lawyers in America” Awards 2016
- Attorney Benjamin Akery Named Newest Partner at the Firm
- Steinberg Law Firm Spins for Pattison’s Academy
- Akery Prevails in Difficult Workers’ Comp Case
EDUCATION & ADMISSION
- College of Charleston, Communications Honors Society
- Emory University School of Law
- South Carolina
Honors & Memberships
- Charleston County Bar
- Berkeley County Bar
- Injured Workers Advocates
- Board of Governers, South Carolina Association for Justice
- Best Lawyers in America
- National Trial Lawyers To 40 Under 40
First Year Recognized in Workers’ Compensation Law – Claimants: 2016
Recognized in Best Lawyers since 2016