How long do I have to file a suit against the developer or builder for my home?
In South Carolina, the general rule is that you have 8 years from the last date on which work was performed on your home. After 8 years, the law (the “statute of repose”) limits the claims an owner can bring. However, even if a home is more than 8 years old, it is still important to contact an attorney because are still ways we can recover compensation from a developer or builder.
South Carolina law also provides (the “statute of limitations”) that an owner usually must bring suit within 3 years of when the owner knew of a problem. However, even if a problem may have existed for more than 3 years, it is still best to contact an attorney because there may be facts that make it so that the limitation does not apply.
Due to these time limitations, it is important for homeowners to consult a lawyer and take legal action as soon as possible to ensure they do not forfeit their legal rights.
Call now to speak with someone about your construction defect claim for FREE. The initial consultation is completely confidential, no obligation, and at no cost to you. Call 843-720-2800 today. Our phones are answered day or night – 24/7/365 – and our legal staff is standing by to help you right now.
Other Construction Defect FAQs:
- How does South Carolina law protect home purchasers?
- How long do I have to file a suit against the developer or builder for my home?
- How long does a construction lawsuit last?
- How much will a construction lawsuit cost me?
- I did not purchase my home or condo directly from the builder. Do I still have a claim against the builder?
- If I sue my builder, can I continue living in my home or condo while the lawsuit is ongoing?
- If I sue my builder, will I have to go to court?
- If my warranty has expired, does that mean I no longer have a claim against the developer or contractors?
- If the builder or developer that sold me my home, townhome, or condo is no longer in business or is bankrupt, can I still recover for construction defects?
- Is arbitration mandatory?
- What are signs that foundation or settlement problems exist in my home?
- What are signs that problems exist in the walls of my home?
- What are signs that roof problems exist in my home?
- What are signs that water leak problems exist in my home?
- What are signs that window or window leak problems exist in my home?
- What are some of the potential construction problems in roofs?
- What are some of the potential construction problems in walls?
- What are some of the potential construction problems related to foundations, soil, and settlement?
- What are some of the potential construction problems related to windows and window leaks?
- What are some potential construction problems related to water leaks?
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of arbitration?
- What compensation can I get from a lawsuit for construction defects?
- What duty does a homeowner’s association have in relation to construction defects?
- What if the builder says there is no problem with my home?
- What is a class action?
- What is a construction defect?
- What is arbitration?
- What is flashing?
- What is mildew?
- What is mold?
- What is wood rot?
- What role do homeowner’s associations play in addressing construction defects?
- What should I do if I find a construction defect?
- Where does The Steinberg Law Firm handle construction cases?
- Who can sue for a problem in a townhome or condominium?
- Who is responsible and liable for a construction defect?
- Why do I need to hire a lawyer experienced in construction issues?
- Why should I worry about construction problems when my builder gave me a warranty?
What Our Clients Say
They have amazing lawyers!
They have worked on an impossible situation and exceeded all expectations in the resulting settlements. I would recommend the Steinberg Law Firm to anyone and everyone!
My experience was excellent
From the first consultation to the end of my case I was kept updated step by step. My attorney worked hard for me and got me more than what I expected.
I never felt like I was alone
My lawyer and his Paralegal were right with me the entire case. I never felt like I was alone. At every turn they were in my corner. Someone recommended me to Steinberg law firm and I gladly would do the same for someone else.
I couldn't have asked for better
The people from the Steinberg group are top-notch. They handled my case extremely well, I couldn’t have asked for a better performance. Thank you all so much for all you did for me.
I am grateful for them!
At my worst, they honestly and carefully protected and defended my family on multiple levels. I’m a client for life and the integrity of this law firm is unmatched. Thank You Steinberg Law Family!!!
The people are thoughtful and professional
Questions and concerns always get answered and concerns are taken care of. Thank you all at Steinburg for a good experience and for showing me that you care about your clients.
The best law firm
This the best law firm anyone could ever deal with. Mr. Pearlman will work hard to get everything that is owed to you. It was a pleasure to have been represented by this firm.
I highly recommend them
They work as a team providing the best referrals and assistance to accomplish what my family and I needed. I highly recommend them because you won’t be disappointed.