South Carolina Inmate Attack Injury Lawyer
South Carolina Injury Lawyers Protect Inmate and Prisoner Rights
In 2021, The South Carolina Department of Corrections (SCDC) had 15,807 inmates across their 21 facilities. Although inmates lose certain freedoms, the state or federal government cannot take all their rights away. Correctional officers and administrators must still respect the constitutional rights of all inmates.
At the Steinberg Law Firm, our knowledgeable personal injury attorneys diligently represent incarcerated individuals and their families. We help create cases against the South Carolina Department of Corrections, the South Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice, and other privately-operated jails.
We want to enforce the rights of inmates and their families by holding negligent and abusive government actors accountable for their actions. To learn about an injured inmate’s privileges and next steps, contact us today at (843) 720-2800.
Section 1983 Protects Inmates from Abuse
An incarcerated person can lose their right to vote and other privacy rights. However, they do not lose all rights. Incarcerated individuals retain their Due Process Rights, which is their right to be free from cruel and unusual punishment, and their right to medical care. Correctional officers and administrators of jails and juvenile detention centers cannot violate these constitutional rights.
Under 42 USC 1983, inmates can enforce their federal constitutional rights against state employees or administrators of jails and detention centers. A prisoner who suffers an injury or a prisoner whose confinement conditions are desolate and lethal, are examples of scenarios that can turn into valid cases.
Many cases involve situations where correctional officers deliberately hurt an inmate or ignore abuse. A Section 1983 claim must have two elements to hold a government employee or institution accountable:
- The person named as a defendant must have acted “under color of state law.”
- The person deprived the inmate of a particular right under the United States Constitution or Federal Law.
What Does Under Color of State Law Mean in a Section 1983 Lawsuit
The term “under color of state law” refers to when an administrator, correctional officer, or other government authority carries out actions outside their governmental duty scope. This means that the misuse of power, omissions, or the failure to act can cause a Section 1983 lawsuit.
Following are situations in which a Section 1983 claim may be appropriate:
- A correctional officer physically or sexually abuses an inmate;
- A jail policy fails to provide for the protection of inmates; and
- Correctional officers allow inmates to fight or otherwise hurt each other.
The South Carolina jail institutions continue to face backlash today. Deadly prison riots and stabbings are the basis for numerous lawsuits brought by families. Recently, the SCDC was allowed to grant a $6 million settlement to families who suffered from an inmate’s death at the Lee Correctional Facility. Although the Lee Correctional Facility received 81 cases, South Carolina prisoners are still experiencing unwarranted behaviors at other facility locations.
What Kinds of Incidents Happen at a South Carolina Juvenile Detention Center?
Recently, a young man was incarcerated for a non-violent driving offense. Guards at the South Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice Broad River Road Complex left the 16-year-old boy alone, which resulted in other inmates attacking him with a metal pole. He was admitted to a hospital’s intensive care unit, where he received treatment for his life-threatening injuries.
In this case, no guard was present to monitor the unit. There were also no cameras present to capture the incident. Based on previous investigations conducted by the South Carolina State Government and the United States Department of Justice, the facility already had a chronic staffing shortage.
In the wake of the near-fatal attack, a public outcry resulted in the resignation of the South Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice Director. The resignation also followed an incident in which more than 20 South Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice staff members walked off the job, citing poor working conditions.
A List of the South Carolina Jails and Detention Centers
At the Steinberg Law Firm, we represent inmates who suffered serious injuries at the hands of correctional officers and prison administrators. We also handle cases for grieving families who have lost a loved one due to a prison officials’ negligent or abusive actions.
The South Carolina Jails and Detention Centers include:
- Allendale Correctional Institution
- Beauford Marine Institute (Juvenile Alternative Placement Facility)
- Broad River Correctional Institution
- Broad River Road Complex (Juvenile Detention Facility)
- Camp Aspen (Juvenile Alternative Placement Facility)
- Camp Bennettsville (Juvenile Alternative Placement Facility)
- Camp Sand Hills (Juvenile Alternative Placement Facility)
- Camp White Plains 1 (Juvenile Alternative Placement Facility)
- Camp White Plains 2 (Juvenile Alternative Placement Facility)
- Coastal Evaluation Center (Juvenile Evaluation Center)
- Camille Griffin Graham Correctional Institution
- Evans Correctional Institution
- Georgetown Marine Institute (Juvenile Alternative Placement Facility)
- Generations (Juvenile Alternative Placement Facility)
- Goodman Correctional Institution
- Juvenile Detention Center
- Kershaw Correctional Institution
- Kirkland Correctional Institution
- Leath Correctional Institution
- Lee Correctional Institution
- Lieber Correctional Institution
- Livesay Correctional Institution
- MacDougall Correctional Institution
- Manning Correctional Institution
- McCormick Correctional Institution
- Midland Evaluation Center (Juvenile Evaluation Center)
- Palmer Pre-Release Center
- Perry Correctional Institution
- Piedmont Wilderness Institute (Juvenile Alternative Placement Facility)
- Ridgeland Correctional Institution
- Trenton Correctional Institution
- Turbeville Correctional Institution
- Tyger River Correctional Institution
- Upstate Evaluation Center (Juvenile Evaluation Center)
- Walden Correctional Institution
- Wateree River Correctional Institution
- Youth Development Center (Juvenile Alternative Placement Facility)
Have You Been Attacked While Serving Time In Jail?
If you or a loved one was recently attacked in jail or at a juvenile detention center and suffered severe injuries, the South Carolina 1983 lawsuit attorneys at the Steinberg Law Firm are here to help. For over 95 years, we have been helping clients who have suffered serious injuries at the hands of others.
We take an individualized approach to every case we handle, taking as much time as necessary to ensure your voice is heard. Calling is free, and because we accept all cases on a contingency basis, we will not ask you to pay us for our legal services unless we can obtain compensation on your behalf.
WE HAVE RECOVERED OVER $500 MILLION FOR CLIENTS IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, INCLUDING:
Car Accident Settlement
Truck Accident Case
Leaders in the Legal Industry
Steinberg attorneys have been awarded numerous distinctions, such as Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America by U.S. News & World Report, Gedney M. Howe, Jr. Award for Outstanding Public Service, the SC Leadership in Law award, and has been voted Best Workers’ Comp Firm in SC, among other distinctions.
What Our Clients Say
They have amazing lawyers!
They have worked on an impossible situation and exceeded all expectations in the resulting settlements. I would recommend the Steinberg Law Firm to anyone and everyone!
My experience was excellent
From the first consultation to the end of my case I was kept updated step by step. My attorney worked hard for me and got me more than what I expected.
I never felt like I was alone
My lawyer and his Paralegal were right with me the entire case. I never felt like I was alone. At every turn they were in my corner. Someone recommended me to Steinberg law firm and I gladly would do the same for someone else.
I couldn't have asked for better
The people from the Steinberg group are top-notch. They handled my case extremely well, I couldn’t have asked for a better performance. Thank you all so much for all you did for me.
I am grateful for them!
At my worst, they honestly and carefully protected and defended my family on multiple levels. I’m a client for life and the integrity of this law firm is unmatched. Thank You Steinberg Law Family!!!
The people are thoughtful and professional
Questions and concerns always get answered and concerns are taken care of. Thank you all at Steinburg for a good experience and for showing me that you care about your clients.
The best law firm
This the best law firm anyone could ever deal with. Mr. Pearlman will work hard to get everything that is owed to you. It was a pleasure to have been represented by this firm.
I highly recommend them
They work as a team providing the best referrals and assistance to accomplish what my family and I needed. I highly recommend them because you won’t be disappointed.