What does Total Disability mean under South Carolina’s workers’ compensation law?
Unfortunately, even though the workers’ compensation system in South Carolina was initially designed to be easy to use and benefits were supposed to be easily obtained, far too many workers are unfairly denied the workers’ compensation benefits they desperately need. In these circumstances, legal action can help workers gain access to the benefits to which they are entitled. In South Carolina, two major criteria are used to determine compensation: whether your disability is temporary or permanent, and whether it is partial or total. This determination could make a big difference in what you receive.
Total Disability: If your injuries are so severe that you cannot work at all, even on a light duty basis, then you can receive total disability benefits which is two-thirds of your average weekly wage. This benefit has a maximum of up to 500 weeks (approximately 9.6 years), assuming that your total disability is permanent. There is an exception to this rule, however. If your injury has caused you to suffer from brain damage or has left you a paraplegic or quadriplegic, there is no time limit and you will receive total disability benefits for the rest of your life. You can also qualify for temporary total disability benefits if you lose certain body parts, either through amputation or loss of use:
- Losing the use of both hands
- Losing the use of both arms
- Losing the use of both shoulders
- Losing the use of both feet
- Losing the use of both legs
- Losing the use of both hips
- Losing vision in both eyes
- Losing two of any of the above (for example, use of one hand and one foot)
If you are injured at work, contact the workers’ compensation lawyers at the Steinberg Law Firm. We have helped hundreds of injured workers get the benefits they deserve and helped to protect them and their families from financial ruin. There is no downside to contacting us to help you with your work injury claim. The initial consultation is free.
Other Workers’ Compensation FAQs:
- Can I be compensated for missing time from work?
- Can you be fired while on worker’s compensation in South Carolina?
- Can you sue your employer in South Carolina?
- Do I have to work if my doctor approves “light duty” work?
- How does the workers’ compensation judge calculate how much money you get?
- How does workers’ compensation work in South Carolina?
- How long does workers’ compensation last?
- How much does it cost to hire a workers’ compensation law firm?
- I was injured on the job. Can I file a suit against my employer?
- What are some of the most common work related injuries?
- What can disqualify me from South Carolina workers’ compensation?
- What does Partial Disability mean under South Carolina’s workers’ compensation law?
- What does Total Disability mean under South Carolina’s workers’ compensation law?
- What Happens if I’ve been hurt on the job and I’m permanently disabled?
- What happens to my job if I’ve been injured?
- What if I need to get back to work, but my doctor hasn’t approved it?
- What if I’ve seen my company doctor but want a second opinion?
- What if the employee dies due to a work injury? What kind of benefits does the family get?
- Why do I need a workers’ compensation lawyer? Shouldn’t I just contact the insurance company by myself?
What Our Clients Say
They have amazing lawyers!
They have worked on an impossible situation and exceeded all expectations in the resulting settlements. I would recommend the Steinberg Law Firm to anyone and everyone!
My experience was excellent
From the first consultation to the end of my case I was kept updated step by step. My attorney worked hard for me and got me more than what I expected.
I never felt like I was alone
My lawyer and his Paralegal were right with me the entire case. I never felt like I was alone. At every turn they were in my corner. Someone recommended me to Steinberg law firm and I gladly would do the same for someone else.
I couldn't have asked for better
The people from the Steinberg group are top-notch. They handled my case extremely well, I couldn’t have asked for a better performance. Thank you all so much for all you did for me.
I am grateful for them!
At my worst, they honestly and carefully protected and defended my family on multiple levels. I’m a client for life and the integrity of this law firm is unmatched. Thank You Steinberg Law Family!!!
The people are thoughtful and professional
Questions and concerns always get answered and concerns are taken care of. Thank you all at Steinburg for a good experience and for showing me that you care about your clients.
The best law firm
This the best law firm anyone could ever deal with. Mr. Pearlman will work hard to get everything that is owed to you. It was a pleasure to have been represented by this firm.
I highly recommend them
They work as a team providing the best referrals and assistance to accomplish what my family and I needed. I highly recommend them because you won’t be disappointed.