How much does it cost to hire a workers’ compensation law firm?
Regardless of the employment industry, South Carolina workers are at risk of suffering an on-the-job injury or illness. An employee may have a workers’ compensation claim if they are injured or become ill while working. Under the South Carolina Worker’s Compensation Act, an employee may be entitled to compensation for any injury or illness that arises out of or occurred in the course of employment. The employee may be able to recover compensation, such as:
- Medical expenses
- Weekly wage compensation
- Permanent disability benefits
Workers’ compensation claims can be time-consuming and complex. Therefore, hiring an experienced attorney may be best to protect your rights. However, the exact cost of hiring a workers’ compensation law firm may vary. Each law firm may have different methods to determine the cost and payment of a workers’ compensation case, including:
- Contingency fee
- Hourly rate
- Retainer fee for the total amount
The contingency fee is the percentage of the total amount of compensation the client is awarded. South Carolina law firms, in conjunction with their attorneys, may set their contingency fee at 33.3 percent or less the total amount of client’s compensation. The retainer fee is a full or partial payment in advance to the law firm for legal representation. The client received the balance of the retainer fee that remains at the end of the legal representation. The hourly rate is multiplied by the amount of time it takes to perform each legal service, including preparing legal documents and attorney’s appearance before the Commission or in court. The fee arrangement and amount, contingency, retainer or hourly must be reasonable, thoroughly explained to the client, and agreed to by the attorney and client. The law firm must report to the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission form of payment for the attorney fees.
Other Workers’ Compensation FAQs:
- Can I be compensated for missing time from work?
- Can you be fired while on worker’s compensation in South Carolina?
- Can you sue your employer in South Carolina?
- Do I have to work if my doctor approves “light duty” work?
- How does the workers’ compensation judge calculate how much money you get?
- How does workers’ compensation work in South Carolina?
- How long does workers’ compensation last?
- How much does it cost to hire a workers’ compensation law firm?
- I was injured on the job. Can I file a suit against my employer?
- What are some of the most common work related injuries?
- What can disqualify me from South Carolina workers’ compensation?
- What does Partial Disability mean under South Carolina’s workers’ compensation law?
- What does Total Disability mean under South Carolina’s workers’ compensation law?
- What Happens if I’ve been hurt on the job and I’m permanently disabled?
- What happens to my job if I’ve been injured?
- What if I need to get back to work, but my doctor hasn’t approved it?
- What if I’ve seen my company doctor but want a second opinion?
- What if the employee dies due to a work injury? What kind of benefits does the family get?
- Why do I need a workers’ compensation lawyer? Shouldn’t I just contact the insurance company by myself?
What Our Clients Say
They have amazing lawyers!
They have worked on an impossible situation and exceeded all expectations in the resulting settlements. I would recommend the Steinberg Law Firm to anyone and everyone!
My experience was excellent
From the first consultation to the end of my case I was kept updated step by step. My attorney worked hard for me and got me more than what I expected.
I never felt like I was alone
My lawyer and his Paralegal were right with me the entire case. I never felt like I was alone. At every turn they were in my corner. Someone recommended me to Steinberg law firm and I gladly would do the same for someone else.
I couldn't have asked for better
The people from the Steinberg group are top-notch. They handled my case extremely well, I couldn’t have asked for a better performance. Thank you all so much for all you did for me.
I am grateful for them!
At my worst, they honestly and carefully protected and defended my family on multiple levels. I’m a client for life and the integrity of this law firm is unmatched. Thank You Steinberg Law Family!!!
The people are thoughtful and professional
Questions and concerns always get answered and concerns are taken care of. Thank you all at Steinburg for a good experience and for showing me that you care about your clients.
The best law firm
This the best law firm anyone could ever deal with. Mr. Pearlman will work hard to get everything that is owed to you. It was a pleasure to have been represented by this firm.
I highly recommend them
They work as a team providing the best referrals and assistance to accomplish what my family and I needed. I highly recommend them because you won’t be disappointed.