How does workers’ compensation work in South Carolina?
An employee may have a workers’ compensation claim if they suffer an on-the-job injury or illness. The employee must notify their employer immediately of the accident. Unless the worker’s injury is repetitive trauma, the deadline to give notice to the employer is 90 days. The injured employee has two years from the date of the accident to file a claim with the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission (SCWCC). If the employee dies as a result of their work-related injuries, the filing deadline is two years from the date. An employee that fails to file their worker’s compensation with the Commission within the statute of limitations, then they are barred from obtaining compensation.
An injured employee has the option to file a claim with the SCWCC, if:
- The employer does not report the accident;
- The employer denies the accident claim and injury; or
- The employee believes that they did not receive all of their entitled workers’ compensation benefits.
The injury or illness the employee suffered at work may require medical treatment. The employer must pay for all necessary medical treatment for up to ten weeks from the date of the injury. The medical coverage for treatment and supplies arising from the work accident includes:
- Medical supplies
- Prosthetic device
- Hearing aid
The employee will receive a weekly wage compensation if they are out-of-work for more than seven days. If an employee misses work due to injury for 14 days, they will also receive compensation for the first seven days. Workers’ compensation payments end when a doctor releases the employee to return to work. However, workers’ compensation payments may continue if it is determined that the employee has a temporary or permanent disability.
Other Workers’ Compensation FAQs:
- Can I be compensated for missing time from work?
- Can you be fired while on worker’s compensation in South Carolina?
- Can you sue your employer in South Carolina?
- Do I have to work if my doctor approves “light duty” work?
- How does the workers’ compensation judge calculate how much money you get?
- How does workers’ compensation work in South Carolina?
- How long does workers’ compensation last?
- How much does it cost to hire a workers’ compensation law firm?
- I was injured on the job. Can I file a suit against my employer?
- What are some of the most common work related injuries?
- What can disqualify me from South Carolina workers’ compensation?
- What does Partial Disability mean under South Carolina’s workers’ compensation law?
- What does Total Disability mean under South Carolina’s workers’ compensation law?
- What Happens if I’ve been hurt on the job and I’m permanently disabled?
- What happens to my job if I’ve been injured?
- What if I need to get back to work, but my doctor hasn’t approved it?
- What if I’ve seen my company doctor but want a second opinion?
- What if the employee dies due to a work injury? What kind of benefits does the family get?
- Why do I need a workers’ compensation lawyer? Shouldn’t I just contact the insurance company by myself?
What Our Clients Say
They have amazing lawyers!
They have worked on an impossible situation and exceeded all expectations in the resulting settlements. I would recommend the Steinberg Law Firm to anyone and everyone!
My experience was excellent
From the first consultation to the end of my case I was kept updated step by step. My attorney worked hard for me and got me more than what I expected.
I never felt like I was alone
My lawyer and his Paralegal were right with me the entire case. I never felt like I was alone. At every turn they were in my corner. Someone recommended me to Steinberg law firm and I gladly would do the same for someone else.
I couldn't have asked for better
The people from the Steinberg group are top-notch. They handled my case extremely well, I couldn’t have asked for a better performance. Thank you all so much for all you did for me.
I am grateful for them!
At my worst, they honestly and carefully protected and defended my family on multiple levels. I’m a client for life and the integrity of this law firm is unmatched. Thank You Steinberg Law Family!!!
The people are thoughtful and professional
Questions and concerns always get answered and concerns are taken care of. Thank you all at Steinburg for a good experience and for showing me that you care about your clients.
The best law firm
This the best law firm anyone could ever deal with. Mr. Pearlman will work hard to get everything that is owed to you. It was a pleasure to have been represented by this firm.
I highly recommend them
They work as a team providing the best referrals and assistance to accomplish what my family and I needed. I highly recommend them because you won’t be disappointed.