Posted on Saturday, November 2nd, 2013 at 10:37 pm
A Lombard, South Carolina man was taken into custody by the Charleston Police Department on Friday, October 25 for a hit and run accident last month that left one pedestrian severely wounded.
Twenty-four-year-old Austin Seaver was driving along Lincoln Avenue at around 10 p.m. on September 11 when he allegedly hit a pedestrian and presumably left the scene of the accident. The CPD used video surveillance and eyewitness testimonies to obtain a warrant for Seaver’s arrest.
The victim was brought to the Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana for sustaining major injuries to his lower extremities. He underwent two operations and may undergo more surgeries in the future, the police said.
If you have been the victim of an accident due to the negligent actions of other people in Charleston, attorneys at the Steinberg Law Firm may be able to help you seek much-needed compensation. To get the information and guidance you need, call our offices today at 843-720-2800.
Posted on Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013 at 8:02 pm
Twenty-one-year-old St. Matthews, South Carolina resident Frank Clinton Hair was charged with felony driving under the influence on October 14 for the car accident that claimed the life of 24-year-old Robert Thompson and severely wounded Joseph Dukes.
Both passengers were in the vehicle that Hair was driving. According to police, Hair’s blood alcohol concentration was over twice the legal limit at the time of the accident.
Calhoun County Magistrate Robert Lake gave Hair a $100,000 personal recognizance (PR) bond. A PR bond involves no property or money as long as the accused promptly appears for his court date; if the defendant fails to appear, he or she must pay the court the bond amount.
Lake said that due to the severity of the circumstances, he was against the PR bond, but that the family of the victims, who were relatives of the defendant, agreed to it.
Posted on Wednesday, October 16th, 2013 at 2:26 pm
The United States Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced on Saturday, October 12 that a South San Francisco, California Costco wholesale store will be recalling nearly 40,000 pounds of rotisserie chicken products due to reports that they may have caused a salmonella poisoning outbreak that has been linked to incidents of more than 300 people in 20 states getting sick.
The recall would include 8,730 Kirkland Signature Foster Farms rotisserie chickens and 313 units of Kirkland Farm rotisserie chicken soup, rotisserie chicken quarters, and rotisserie chicken salad, which were sold to consumers between September 11 and September 23 at the 1600 El Camino Real store.
FSIS officials said a type of Salmonella Heidelberg rarely found in the country may have infected the rotisserie chickens.
The USDA allowed three Foster Farms poultry plants in Fresno and Livingston, California to operate provided they do the necessary fixes.
Both manufacturers and distributors have a responsibility to make sure that the products they provide to the public are safe and will not be detrimental to the consumers. If your health has been compromised by this particular affected chicken or other unsafe food products, contact our Charleston-based attorneys from the Steinberg Law Firm by dialing 843-720-2800 today.
Posted on Friday, October 4th, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Thirty-nine-year-old Columbia resident Bryan Carroll Biggart has been charged with committing a hit-and-run that involved personal injury, reckless driving, and other charges, and has been incarcerated since Wednesday, September 25 at the Lexington County Detention Center.
According to Lexington County Sheriff James Metts, at around 2:15 a.m. on Sep. 25, Biggart was driving a red 2008 Saturn Vue sport utility vehicle in an eastbound lane of Interstate 26 near Lexington County’s mile marker 117 when he accidentally rear-ended 57-year-old Orangeburg Trooper Erskine Abraham Reed’s silver 2008 Ford Crown Victoria marked patrol car, which was also heading east.
Police investigators found that Biggart did not dispense aid to Reed after the incident and continued on for about 5 miles to a car stop near mile marker 122 in Calhoun County even though his vehicle’s five air bags had burst and his car sustained major damage on the front side.
At the Steinberg Law Firm, our lawyers provide residents in Charleston with compassionate and high-quality legal service when filing personal injury claims. To schedule an initial appointment with one of our esteemed lawyers after being involved in an auto accident, call 843-720-2800 today.
Posted on Friday, September 6th, 2013 at 6:30 pm
Workers find themselves in dangerous situations every day, whether they are dealing with industrial machinery or seemingly harmless office equipment. They depend on their good health to do their job, which means they must take steps to prevent injuries. However, according to a recent study by the Steinberg Law Firm, a substantial percentage of South Carolina workers are unsure of what to do if they are injured in the workplace and feel as if they cannot report the injury.
The survey highlights misconceptions about workplace injuries and workers’ compensation laws. 42 percent of those surveyed believe that any injury or illness has to be reported within 24 hours in order for them to receive compensation, although state law actually allows workers up to two years to report their injury. Nearly 25 percent of workers also said that they would keep their injury a secret from their employer for fear of missing work. And, although most South Carolina workers said they could locate a first aid kit and fire extinguisher in their workplace, nearly a quarter of the respondents have never seen a sign about workers’ compensation policies posted by their employer.
If you would like to read more about the results of this new study, click here.
Our attorneys at the Steinberg Law Firm have over 85 years of experience handling workers’ compensation cases in South Carolina. If you or a loved one has been injured in a workplace accident and needs help filing a claim, call 843-720-2800 to find out how we can help you.
Posted on Sunday, August 25th, 2013 at 6:59 pm
For the third time in three years, the counties of Charleston, Greenville, Richland, and Horry were included in the top five of AAA Carolina’s annual list of South Carolina’s most dangerous counties for vehicle collisions.
According to an analysis based on 2012 crash data, Charleston was ranked as the most dangerous county in South Carolina for the past three years and has consistently appeared in the top three for eight years. Road vehicle accidents in Charleston account for 11% of collisions in South Carolina, though the county only has 7% of the state’s miles traveled.
For fatal crashes per miles traveled in 2012, the counties of Williamsburg, Oconee, Allendale, Saluda, and Laurens were deemed the most dangerous, accounting for two-thirds of fatal crashes.
AAA Carolinas president and CEO David Parsons said rural roads are prone to single-vehicle accidents due to more curves, insufficient road markings, and limited police presence.
If you or someone you love has been the victim of a vehicular accident due to the negligence of others in Charleston, don’t hesitate to enlist the help of an attorney from the Steinberg Law Firm. For more information about how we can potentially help you, schedule a free consultation by calling 843-720-2800.
Posted on Thursday, August 22nd, 2013 at 7:38 pm
Members of the Mount Pleasant town council voted on Tuesday, August 13 in favor of the proposal to ban texting while driving.
The fine for violators was agreed to be $50, but could be hiked up to $200 if the offense causes a vehicular accident, according to the new ordinance that was approved by a vote of 6-3. Voting yes were council members Thomasena Stokes-Marshall, Elton Carrier, Chris O’Neal, Craig Rhyne, John Burn, and Mayor Billy Swails.
The ordinance also covers viewing, taking, or transmitting images, playing games, and viewing or retrieving email and other electronic information.
The proposal to ban texting while driving will become a law if it passes another round of council voting, which is scheduled on September 10. Mount Pleasant will be the first municipality in South Carolina to have a law against texting while driving if the ban is passed.
Our lawyers at the Steinberg Law Firm believe that victims of accidents in Charleston should not have to bear the financial burdens of the accident on their own when the accident is caused by someone else’s negligence. To find out more about how we can help you with your case, call our Charleston offices at 843-720-2800 today.
Posted on Thursday, August 1st, 2013 at 8:55 pm
A Gray court native was arrested and incarcerated after reportedly hitting a golf cart with his vehicle, resulting in the death of one person and the injury of three others.
The accident, which was a hit-and-run, took place Friday night, July 19. When the golf cart made a turn onto Weston Street from Quillen Avenue in Fountain Inn, James Stephen Bloodworth’s vehicle struck it.
Police said they arrested the suspect on Saturday, July 20. Bloodworth was detained in the Greenville County Detention Center on Sunday, July 21 on three charges of hit-and-run with personal injury and a charge of hit-and-run causing death, jail records showed.
The deceased was identified as 75-year-old Janice Patterson, a resident of Jefferson City, Tennessee. The injured parties were her husband, Truett, and Fountain Inn natives Erma and Ted Atkinson.
Posted on Thursday, July 25th, 2013 at 7:42 pm
Rosy Esparza was riding the Texas Giant roller coaster with her son at Six Flags Over Texas, located in Arlington, Texas, when she fell from her seat at around 6:30 p.m. on Friday, July 19, causing her immediate death.
Witness Carmen Brown said she saw Esparza fall, noting that she heard the victim making expressions of concern regarding the lap bar’s security before the ride started.
According to The Dallas Morning News, Germany’s Gerstlauer Amusement Rides, which built the Texas Giant’s cars, sent a team of construction experts to investigate the incident on Monday, July 22 to Six Flags to determine what the cause of Esparza’s death was.
Six Flags also said it is committed to resolving the investigation regarding the matter, noting it will “utilize every resource throughout this process” to “determine the cause of this tragic accident.”
Posted on Thursday, July 4th, 2013 at 8:40 pm
The family of a man who was killed in a car accident filed a wrongful death lawsuit against a drunk driver and the restaurants and bars where the drunk driver ate and drank prior to getting behind the wheel.
According to Charleston’s The Post and Courier, the estate of Gerard Nieto has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the drunk driver and the five establishments at which the drunk driver did his binge drinking. The lawsuit demands an unspecified amount of damages.
Thirty-two-year-old suspect Jason Frank Marion of Summerville, South Carolina drank for over seven hours at five bars – the King Street Grille, the Market Street Saloon, the Wild Wing Café, the D.I.G. in the Park, and Gene’s Haufbrau – before getting on the road at around 1:20 a.m. on May 4, 2012.
Marion then hit Nieto with his truck, causing Nieto to fly from his bicycle and onto a highway.