3 Facts about Compensation You Should Know
If a person sustains an injury because of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, they may consider filing a lawsuit against the responsible party. A successful claim against a negligent party may result in financial compensation for the injured person. This money can prove extremely useful in covering expensive medical bills and other unexpected costs related to the accident in question.
For those who have never gone through the process of filing a personal injury lawsuit, the experience can be quite complicated and confusing. Fortunately, help is available. The Charleston accident attorneys of the Steinberg Law Firm are here to help you better understand personal injury lawsuits and receiving compensation. The following are three things our attorneys believe it is important for every accident victim to understand:
#1: You should not have to pay taxes on compensation.
If an accident victim is awarded compensation, they generally don’t need to pay taxes on this money. The government doesn’t require tax payments for personal injury compensation related to healthcare bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, etc. However, an individual may need to pay taxes on any interest that has accrued on that compensation. Additionally, compensation for punitive damages is often taxable.
#2: You may receive either a single payment or several regularly timed payments.
The law regarding compensation payments allows two different types of payment schedules. The simpler payment type is known as a lump sum, which consists of one payment from the defendant to the plaintiff. This payment covers the full amount of compensation awarded in a single transaction. The second, more common, type of payment is known as a structured settlement. These settlements consist of smaller payments made on a regular schedule, eventually reaching the full compensation amount over time.
#3: Structured settlement payments can be transferred by a defendant.
If a defendant pays through a structured settlement, the plaintiff can be asked to agree to a third party transfer of the compensation agreement. A third-party group can take over the defendant’s role in providing payments over time, meaning that this third party will provide payments to the accident victim instead of the defendant. However, the defendant will still need to pay the third party for any remaining compensation they have been ordered to pay.
If you have been injured because of another person’s negligence, we may be able to help you better understand your legal options. To schedule an initial consultation regarding your claim, contact the Charleston accident lawyers of the Steinberg Law Firm by calling 843-720-2800 today.
Personal Injury Lawyers Representing Charleston & nearby areas of South Carolina
- 3 Facts about Compensation You Should Know
- 3 Important Facts about the Statute of Limitations
- Abusive Head Trauma
- Accident Liability in Borrowed Vehicles
- Agnosia and Brain Injury
- Anti-Depressant Withdrawal
- Automotive Brake Failure
- Becoming Intoxicated on the Road
- Boat Accident Factors
- Burn Injury: Truth and Consequences
- Can You Sue for Injuries Caused by First Responders?
- Can You Work Towards a Faster Lawsuit?
- Child Car Seat Defects
- Choosing Safe Toys for your Children
- Common Motor Vehicle Defects and Malfunctions
- Comparative Negligence in South Carolina
- Construction Defects and Injuries
- Dangerous Pharmaceutical Products
- Dangers of Electrocution
- Daycare Neglect
- Defective Seat Belts
- Do You Need a Lawyer if Fault is Clear?
- Drafting on the Highway
- Driver Error
- Driving and Illegal Drugs
- Driving in Inclement Weather
- DUI Car Accidents
- Expert Witnesses for Personal Injury Lawsuits
- Fetal Scalp Electrode Monitoring Problems
- First Aid for Chemical Burns
- First Aid for Electrical Burns
- First Aid for Flame Burns
- Fitness Center Injuries
- Five Mistakes Accident Victims Make
- Grounds for a Premises Liability Action
- Hazardous Food Containers
- Highway Coasting
- Highway Defects
- Hours of Service Violations and Truck Accidents
- How Evidence Affects Your Case
- Infections from Animal Attacks
- Injured in a Car Accident? Watch What You Say.
- Injuries Associated with Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Injuries Associated with Slip and Fall Accidents
- Is Your Child’s Playground Safe?
- Lack of Medical Ethics
- Manufacturing vs. Design Defect
- Missing Road Paint
- Necrotizing Fasciitis
- Negligence and Food Poisoning
- Pedestrian Dangers
- Personal Injury Claims: Legitimate versus Frivolous
- Plastic Surgery Errors
- Problems Associated with Meningitis
- Salmonella and Your Health
- School-Related Injuries
- Selecting a Personal Injury Attorney
- Shoulder Dislocation
- Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
- Stadium Negligence and Spectator Injuries
- Suturing Errors
- The Attractive Nuisance Doctrine
- The Hazardous Effects of Speeding
- The Leading Causes of Spine Injuries
- Toxic Chemicals in the Home
- Types of Negligence
- Types of Train Accidents
- Types of Visitors for Premises Liability
- Upper Gastrointestinal Bleed Treatments
- Violation of Patient Privacy Laws
- Vocal Cord Paralysis Injuries
- What Do You Need to Prove if a Car Defect Injures You?
- What Is the Index System?
- What Questions Should I Ask in a Consultation?
- What to do After a Dog Bite
- Why You Shouldn’t Go it Alone
WE HAVE RECOVERED OVER $500 MILLION FOR CLIENTS IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, INCLUDING:
Car accident settlement
Workers' Comp Case
Leaders in the Legal Industry
Steinberg attorneys have been awarded numerous distinctions, such as Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America by U.S. News & World Report, Gedney M. Howe, Jr. Award for Outstanding Public Service, the SC Leadership in Law award, and has been voted Best Workers’ Comp Firm in SC, among other distinctions.
What Our Clients Say
They have amazing lawyers!
They have worked on an impossible situation and exceeded all expectations in the resulting settlements. I would recommend the Steinberg Law Firm to anyone and everyone!
My experience was excellent
From the first consultation to the end of my case I was kept updated step by step. My attorney worked hard for me and got me more than what I expected.
I never felt like I was alone
My lawyer and his Paralegal were right with me the entire case. I never felt like I was alone. At every turn they were in my corner. Someone recommended me to Steinberg law firm and I gladly would do the same for someone else.
I couldn't have asked for better
The people from the Steinberg group are top-notch. They handled my case extremely well, I couldn’t have asked for a better performance. Thank you all so much for all you did for me.
I am grateful for them!
At my worst, they honestly and carefully protected and defended my family on multiple levels. I’m a client for life and the integrity of this law firm is unmatched. Thank You Steinberg Law Family!!!
The people are thoughtful and professional
Questions and concerns always get answered and concerns are taken care of. Thank you all at Steinburg for a good experience and for showing me that you care about your clients.
The best law firm
This the best law firm anyone could ever deal with. Mr. Pearlman will work hard to get everything that is owed to you. It was a pleasure to have been represented by this firm.
A wonderful experience
Had a wonderful experience with Mr. Pearlman and his team. Thank you very much for your diligence and expertise.
I highly recommend them
They work as a team providing the best referrals and assistance to accomplish what my family and I needed. I highly recommend them because you won’t be disappointed.