3 Important Facts about the Statute of Limitations
After an injury, a person may want to consider filing for compensation for their losses. However, a claimant needs to be careful about when they file. After all, according to the law, a claimant cannot file for compensation if their injury claim exceeds the state statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is a time limit for each injury claim filed in South Carolina. If the injury occurred too long before a filing, legal action may not be permitted.
If you have sustained an injury because of someone else’s negligence, you may be eligible for compensation. To discuss your legal options and rights as an injured individual, contact the Charleston injury attorneys of the Steinberg Law Firm at 843-720-2800 today.
KEY CONSIDERATIONS FOR YOUR CASE
Until one has been directly involved in the legal process, it is likely that his or her only exposure to the justice system is through fictional representations or news reports. Unfortunately, this means that there are often a number of misconceptions about important matters. The following are some key considerations for your case which pertain to the statute of limitations.
#1: A claim can expire over time.
When a person sustains an injury, or becomes aware of an injury, there is a sort of countdown process initiated. In the state of South Carolina, this time is set at 3 years from the time of the injury. This time can vary depending on the type of case, however. For instance, cases of medical malpractice in which a person was injured due to a foreign object being left in the body only permit 2 years before a person loses their option to file for compensation.
#2: The statute of limitations can be increased.
The law does permit the expansion of the normal statute of limitations in certain situations. Specifically, the discovery rule is in effect in South Carolina. This means that the statute of limitations begins counting down once the injury is discovered, not sustained. This is particularly useful in cases of injuries or ailments that are slow to develop or make themselves apparent.
#3: Children are given additional time to file.
Generally speaking, injured children will be given up until their 18th birthday to pursue legal action. Once they become adults, these injured individuals will have one year to consider their legal options for compensation.
An injury can leave you confused and anxious about what problems the future may hold. Let our experienced advisors help you better understand your legal options after an injury. For more information, contact the Charleston personal injury attorneys of the Steinberg Law Firm by calling 843-720-2800 today.
Personal Injury Lawyers Representing Charleston & nearby areas of South Carolina
- 3 Facts about Compensation You Should Know
- 3 Important Facts about the Statute of Limitations
- Abusive Head Trauma
- Accident Liability in Borrowed Vehicles
- Agnosia and Brain Injury
- Anti-Depressant Withdrawal
- Automotive Brake Failure
- Becoming Intoxicated on the Road
- Boat Accident Factors
- Burn Injury: Truth and Consequences
- Can You Sue for Injuries Caused by First Responders?
- Can You Work Towards a Faster Lawsuit?
- Child Car Seat Defects
- Choosing Safe Toys for your Children
- Common Motor Vehicle Defects and Malfunctions
- Comparative Negligence in South Carolina
- Construction Defects and Injuries
- Dangerous Pharmaceutical Products
- Dangers of Electrocution
- Daycare Neglect
- Defective Seat Belts
- Do You Need a Lawyer if Fault is Clear?
- Drafting on the Highway
- Driver Error
- Driving and Illegal Drugs
- Driving in Inclement Weather
- DUI Car Accidents
- Expert Witnesses for Personal Injury Lawsuits
- Fetal Scalp Electrode Monitoring Problems
- First Aid for Chemical Burns
- First Aid for Electrical Burns
- First Aid for Flame Burns
- Fitness Center Injuries
- Five Mistakes Accident Victims Make
- Grounds for a Premises Liability Action
- Hazardous Food Containers
- Highway Coasting
- Highway Defects
- Hours of Service Violations and Truck Accidents
- How Evidence Affects Your Case
- Infections from Animal Attacks
- Injured in a Car Accident? Watch What You Say.
- Injuries Associated with Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Injuries Associated with Slip and Fall Accidents
- Is Your Child’s Playground Safe?
- Lack of Medical Ethics
- Manufacturing vs. Design Defect
- Missing Road Paint
- Necrotizing Fasciitis
- Negligence and Food Poisoning
- Pedestrian Dangers
- Personal Injury Claims: Legitimate versus Frivolous
- Plastic Surgery Errors
- Problems Associated with Meningitis
- Salmonella and Your Health
- School-Related Injuries
- Selecting a Personal Injury Attorney
- Shoulder Dislocation
- Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
- Stadium Negligence and Spectator Injuries
- Suturing Errors
- The Attractive Nuisance Doctrine
- The Hazardous Effects of Speeding
- The Leading Causes of Spine Injuries
- Toxic Chemicals in the Home
- Types of Negligence
- Types of Train Accidents
- Types of Visitors for Premises Liability
- Upper Gastrointestinal Bleed Treatments
- Violation of Patient Privacy Laws
- Vocal Cord Paralysis Injuries
- What Do You Need to Prove if a Car Defect Injures You?
- What Is the Index System?
- What Questions Should I Ask in a Consultation?
- What to do After a Dog Bite
- Why You Shouldn’t Go it Alone
WE HAVE RECOVERED OVER $500 MILLION FOR CLIENTS IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, INCLUDING:
Car accident settlement
Workers' Comp Case
Leaders in the Legal Industry
Steinberg attorneys have been awarded numerous distinctions, such as Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America by U.S. News & World Report, Gedney M. Howe, Jr. Award for Outstanding Public Service, the SC Leadership in Law award, and has been voted Best Workers’ Comp Firm in SC, among other distinctions.
What Our Clients Say
They have amazing lawyers!
They have worked on an impossible situation and exceeded all expectations in the resulting settlements. I would recommend the Steinberg Law Firm to anyone and everyone!
My experience was excellent
From the first consultation to the end of my case I was kept updated step by step. My attorney worked hard for me and got me more than what I expected.
I never felt like I was alone
My lawyer and his Paralegal were right with me the entire case. I never felt like I was alone. At every turn they were in my corner. Someone recommended me to Steinberg law firm and I gladly would do the same for someone else.
I couldn't have asked for better
The people from the Steinberg group are top-notch. They handled my case extremely well, I couldn’t have asked for a better performance. Thank you all so much for all you did for me.
I am grateful for them!
At my worst, they honestly and carefully protected and defended my family on multiple levels. I’m a client for life and the integrity of this law firm is unmatched. Thank You Steinberg Law Family!!!
The people are thoughtful and professional
Questions and concerns always get answered and concerns are taken care of. Thank you all at Steinburg for a good experience and for showing me that you care about your clients.
The best law firm
This the best law firm anyone could ever deal with. Mr. Pearlman will work hard to get everything that is owed to you. It was a pleasure to have been represented by this firm.
I highly recommend them
They work as a team providing the best referrals and assistance to accomplish what my family and I needed. I highly recommend them because you won’t be disappointed.