Five Mistakes Accident Victims Make
Following a serious accident, it can be hard to know what you need to do in order to be able to eventually recover the compensation you may need in order to deal with your injuries and other losses. Unfortunately, at this stage, many accident victims make serious mistakes that can negatively impact any future litigation they may choose to pursue and cost themselves the chance to recover compensation.
The following is a brief explanation of five of the most common mistakes made following a car accident and what you can do to avoid them:
- Talking to the other party’s insurance company. In many cases, following a serious accident, the insurers representing the responsible party may attempt to contact the accident victim. Unfortunately, far too often, insurers are not doing so in good faith, but rather in an attempt to get accident victims to make incriminating comments that can later be used to discredit their claim. Do not talk with the other person’s insurance company until after you have consulted with an attorney in order to avoid becoming a victim of this tactic.
- Failing to take and/or keep documentation. The best way to give a personal injury claim a strong chance of success is by amassing as much evidence as possible. Unfortunately, many accident victims don’t appropriately document their injuries or keep track of things such as doctors’ notes and other useful evidence for their claim. Avoiding this mistake can go a long way towards improving the likelihood of your claim’s ultimate success.
- Failing to seek appropriate medical attention. Many accident victims may not be able to comfortably afford the medical treatment they may need. However, it is important to seek the services of a qualified medical professional in order to establish documentation of the accident victim’s injuries.
- Admitting fault. In the immediate aftermath of an accident, it may not be entirely clear who was responsible for causing it to occur. In these situations, it is not uncommon for accident victims to claim partial responsibility for an accident. However, it can be difficult to have a true grasp of what actually happened at this stage, and admitting even partial fault can have extraordinarily damaging consequences for an injury victim’s claim.
- Accepting a quick settlement. One of the most common, and potentially damaging, mistakes that any accident victim can make is accepting a settlement from the insurance company without pursuing their legal options first. In most cases, the first proposed settlement will be worth far less than what accident victims may be able to recover, and accepting a quick settlement may leave you unable to pay for future medical bills and other costs.
These are just some of the mistakes that accident victims can make which can have a damaging effect on their injury claim. To learn more about what you can do to avoid these and other mistakes, please contact the accident attorneys at the Steinberg Law Firm today by calling us at 843-720-2800.
Personal Injury Lawyers Representing Charleston & nearby areas of South Carolina
- 3 Facts about Compensation You Should Know
- 3 Important Facts about the Statute of Limitations
- Abusive Head Trauma
- Accident Liability in Borrowed Vehicles
- Agnosia and Brain Injury
- Anti-Depressant Withdrawal
- Automotive Brake Failure
- Becoming Intoxicated on the Road
- Boat Accident Factors
- Burn Injury: Truth and Consequences
- Can You Sue for Injuries Caused by First Responders?
- Can You Work Towards a Faster Lawsuit?
- Child Car Seat Defects
- Choosing Safe Toys for your Children
- Common Motor Vehicle Defects and Malfunctions
- Comparative Negligence in South Carolina
- Construction Defects and Injuries
- Dangerous Pharmaceutical Products
- Dangers of Electrocution
- Daycare Neglect
- Defective Seat Belts
- Do You Need a Lawyer if Fault is Clear?
- Drafting on the Highway
- Driver Error
- Driving and Illegal Drugs
- Driving in Inclement Weather
- DUI Car Accidents
- Expert Witnesses for Personal Injury Lawsuits
- Fetal Scalp Electrode Monitoring Problems
- First Aid for Chemical Burns
- First Aid for Electrical Burns
- First Aid for Flame Burns
- Fitness Center Injuries
- Five Mistakes Accident Victims Make
- Grounds for a Premises Liability Action
- Hazardous Food Containers
- Highway Coasting
- Highway Defects
- Hours of Service Violations and Truck Accidents
- How Evidence Affects Your Case
- Infections from Animal Attacks
- Injured in a Car Accident? Watch What You Say.
- Injuries Associated with Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Injuries Associated with Slip and Fall Accidents
- Is Your Child’s Playground Safe?
- Lack of Medical Ethics
- Manufacturing vs. Design Defect
- Missing Road Paint
- Necrotizing Fasciitis
- Negligence and Food Poisoning
- Pedestrian Dangers
- Personal Injury Claims: Legitimate versus Frivolous
- Plastic Surgery Errors
- Problems Associated with Meningitis
- Salmonella and Your Health
- School-Related Injuries
- Selecting a Personal Injury Attorney
- Shoulder Dislocation
- Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
- Stadium Negligence and Spectator Injuries
- Suturing Errors
- The Attractive Nuisance Doctrine
- The Hazardous Effects of Speeding
- The Leading Causes of Spine Injuries
- Toxic Chemicals in the Home
- Types of Negligence
- Types of Train Accidents
- Types of Visitors for Premises Liability
- Upper Gastrointestinal Bleed Treatments
- Violation of Patient Privacy Laws
- Vocal Cord Paralysis Injuries
- What Do You Need to Prove if a Car Defect Injures You?
- What Is the Index System?
- What Questions Should I Ask in a Consultation?
- What to do After a Dog Bite
- Why You Shouldn’t Go it Alone
WE HAVE RECOVERED OVER $500 MILLION FOR CLIENTS IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, INCLUDING:
Car accident settlement
Workers' Comp Case
Leaders in the Legal Industry
Steinberg attorneys have been awarded numerous distinctions, such as Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America by U.S. News & World Report, Gedney M. Howe, Jr. Award for Outstanding Public Service, the SC Leadership in Law award, and has been voted Best Workers’ Comp Firm in SC, among other distinctions.
What Our Clients Say
They have amazing lawyers!
They have worked on an impossible situation and exceeded all expectations in the resulting settlements. I would recommend the Steinberg Law Firm to anyone and everyone!
My experience was excellent
From the first consultation to the end of my case I was kept updated step by step. My attorney worked hard for me and got me more than what I expected.
I never felt like I was alone
My lawyer and his Paralegal were right with me the entire case. I never felt like I was alone. At every turn they were in my corner. Someone recommended me to Steinberg law firm and I gladly would do the same for someone else.
I couldn't have asked for better
The people from the Steinberg group are top-notch. They handled my case extremely well, I couldn’t have asked for a better performance. Thank you all so much for all you did for me.
I am grateful for them!
At my worst, they honestly and carefully protected and defended my family on multiple levels. I’m a client for life and the integrity of this law firm is unmatched. Thank You Steinberg Law Family!!!
The people are thoughtful and professional
Questions and concerns always get answered and concerns are taken care of. Thank you all at Steinburg for a good experience and for showing me that you care about your clients.
The best law firm
This the best law firm anyone could ever deal with. Mr. Pearlman will work hard to get everything that is owed to you. It was a pleasure to have been represented by this firm.
I highly recommend them
They work as a team providing the best referrals and assistance to accomplish what my family and I needed. I highly recommend them because you won’t be disappointed.